Caring for Creation and Preserving Natural Resources
Environmental stewardship has a moral dimension, particularly in the recognition of the impact that environmental deterioration has on people, families, and the poor.
Protecting vulnerable people from harm should be a driving factor in setting policy to protect the environment and preserve the world’s resources.
To better care for creation and preserve the state’s natural resources, MCC supports:
- Improving access to safe and affordable drinking water and promoting responsible stewardship of natural resources.
- Protecting Michigan’s lakes, natural resources, and public lands.
- Encouraging use of sustainable sources of energy.
- Promoting sustainable practices in food production, waste management, and transportation.
- Recognizing the disproportionate effect that climate change and pollution have on the poor and vulnerable and working to mitigate those disproportionate effects.
- Care for God’s Creation (CRS, 2017)
- Laudato Si (Pope Francis, 2015)
- Evangelii Gaudium (Pope Francis, 2013)
- Social Compendium of the Catholic Church (Pont. Council for Justice & Peace, 2004)
- Global Climate Change: A Plea for Dialogue, Prudence, & the Common Good (USCCB, 2001)
- Catholic Conference Publishes FOCUS Document, Web Resources to Highlight Pope Francis’s Laudato Si’ Teaching (05/26/20)
- Governor’s Budget Applauded for EITC Increase, Yet Cuts to Pro-Life and Nonpublic School Policies Should be Reinstated (03/05/19)
- Michigan Catholic Conference Urges ‘No’ Vote on Ballot Question to Legalize Recreational Marijuana (10/02/18)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- This Election, Let’s Vote, then Act (10/23/20)
- Patience and Persistence: Advocacy Successes in 2019 (01/17/20)
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (06/21/19)
- Prioritizing the Vulnerable in the State Budget (03/22/19)
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (FOCUS Essay, 5/2019)
- A Blueprint for the Common Good (FOCUS Essay, 1/2019)
- Proposal 1: Say No To Recreational Marijuana (FOCUS Essay, 10/2018)
- CST 101: Care for God’s Creation Discussion Guide (8/2017)
- Transportation, Community, and the Common Good (FOCUS Essay, 7/2016)
- Laudato Si Discussion Guide
- Lansing Update:
- March for Life Comes to Michigan Capitol, and More From a Busy Final Week of Session (11/10/23)
- Crucial Limits on Abortion Would Remain Law Under House-Passed Version of RHA (11/03/23)
- Abortion Deregulation Bills Advance Despite Widespread Opposition from Michigan Voters (10/20/23)
- Quick Guide on Where MCC-Backed Legislation Currently Stands (06/02/23)
- Catholic Grassroots, Tell Your House Member to Approve Immediate Tax Relief for Working Families (05/12/23)
- A Call for Water Justice in Detroit (Detroit Religious Leaders Forum, 1/18/19)
- The Catholic Church Responds to Flint Water Crisis (Faith Magazine, 3/2016)
- Laudato Si Bulletin Insert
- Policy Briefing on Laudato Si (6/19/15)